Following a healthy, balanced diet and exercise plan is essential to living a long, vital life. As a person ages, healthcare officials stress the importance of this even more. Seniors are at a higher risk for health problems, like dehydration, heart disease, or diabetes. Sticking to a balanced, healthy diet can reduce the risk of developing similar ailments or possibly alleviate some of the symptoms if the disease is already present. A well-rounded nutrient-rich diet can also help seniors maintain a healthy weight and stay energized.
Here are few steps seniors are recommended to take in order to maintain a happy, healthy life:
- Look for nutrient-rich foods. Foods rich in fiber and vitamin D are highly recommended. Stay away from foods with high saturated fats and sodium. It is recommended that healthy meals should contain lean meat, fruits and/or vegetables, whole grains, and a low-fat dairy. Fresh, bright foods are always the best choice!
- If packaged or processed foods are the only option, make sure to read the nutrition label. Choose items that are lower in fat, added sugars, and sodium.
- Use the recommended serving sizes. The American Heart Association provides recommended daily servings for adults 60+.
- Stay hydrated by drinking small amounts of fluid throughout the day. Dehydration is often a hidden risk for seniors. Scientists warn the ability to be aware of and respond to thirst diminishes as we age. The body also loses water as we age, and that can lead to lower kidney function.
- Seniors should also be aware of any nutritional limitations due to medications. Certain medicines have unwanted side effects if certain foods are ingested.
- Don’t forget to exercise. Health experts recommend 30 minutes of exercise daily, even if in small increments. The exercise does not have to be strenuous, it could be walking or riding a stationary bike.
Here at Francois Bend Senior Living, our staff applies all of these recommendations in our residents’ daily lives. Our expertly-trained chefs and restaurant staff cater to every menu to each resident’s needs and keep them happy and healthy. If you live in the Gonzales area and are interested in seeing everything Francois Bend has to offer, contact us today to schedule a tour!